Monday, February 4, 2013

Temporarily OK: Shutting My Brain Off For a Hot Second

I've been able to shut my brain off a little bit here and there since we got that stupid phone call. I appreciate those moments where I'm not panicking or crumbling more than I can say.

Phoebe came over with mind-blowing partially baked brownies and we shot the breeze.  She mentioned designing some "Team Spencer" and "Leukemia Is Lame" type merchandise and setting up a store with all proceeds going to Spencer. I think that's really amazing and sweet. She's too awesome and you should wish you had a Phoebe in your life.

I also need to give a shout out to the super rad Tiffany Z. Despite her fear of needles, she was inspired by our little dude to order a free bone marrow donation kit. The kit does NOT require any needles (just 4 swabs of the inside of your cheek) but donation would. I think it's amazing how people can rise above their own fears for someone else. Her son went through the same situation when he was Spencer's age and now he's 11 or 12 and totally rad which gives me hope. This donation won't directly affect Spencer but it could easily help someone else in need. If you are at all interested in joining the National Bone Marrow Registry, it just takes a few minutes and is FREE. Check out BE THE MATCH here.

I received another call from Spencer's doc on Thursday night. She was checking up on him...and us...and wanted to schedule more blood work to look at Spencer's platelets again. We're still in Limbo with everything as they haven't decided whether to start treatment now or wait. It was mentioned that he might possibly need another bone marrow biopsy before treatment and my heart just sank into my slippers. All of this still doesn't seem real. But it's back to Rainbow on Wednesday. At least we know Spencer won't start treatment before my birthday. THAT would just be the final kick in the teeth.

I had been doing nothing but studying and worrying all week so Saturday night, I picked up the wife and we went to Yorktown Lanes to hear some music. On a scale of 1-10, I was only about a 5 in terms of sadness because I saw so many friends I hadn't seen in awhile. I always forget how much I like certain people until I see them again. It's always way too far apart for my taste. I had a few drinks, played some Keno, talked to pals, and just had an all-around good time. I STILL have the Clint Eastwood song stuck in my head! It was well worth driving in the snow, even if I didn't dress weather appropriate.

*SIDE NOTE: Jackie Hissem, I wouldn't wear those boots around me again because if you DO, I can't be held responsible if I steal them right off your feet!!!

Yesterday was a shindig at my parents' for all the January and February birthday, and there's a bunch. We had a "make your own pizza" bar and it was AWESOME. Shocking to hear from a person that doesn't like pizza, I know. We started planning a family trip to Washington DC for the summer and I'm really excited. I love to stay in hotels and hang out with my family. We usually go to Disney World so this will be a nice change of pace. It's good to plan ahead. Even with Spencer having treatment, life goes on. We just have to keep planning, living, and moving forward.

And to boost my not-so-horribly-upset-at-the-moment mood, I got tickets to They Might Be Giants on St. Patrick's Day! I was told it was sold out but that information was inaccurate. WEE! HAPPY DAY! And my TMBG Road Crew jacked just happens to be green. I'm just saying. I'm actually Irish so...I feel the need to be stupid and wear green and whatnot. But this happiness is not without a small cloud of doom: I did NOT get tickets to Hall and Oates. I didn't even know they were coming and it's sold out. Boo. Hiss.

Thursday is my birthday (the big 34 which doesn't sound as good as 33 and isn't as milestone-y as 35) and I'm going to try and make the most of it. Circumstances surrounding, it's not going to be the best birthday ever by any means. But Todd is making me dinner tonight, I'm going to PJs with the wife on the actual day (since Todd gets up at 3:30am for work and subsequently goes to bed early, I didn't want to sit home), and the hubby and I are going to do some damage at Dave and Buster's this weekend. Like I said, I'm making the most of it.

But first I need to ace an A&P exam, take an Inorganic Chemistry quiz, and prep for an Algebra test. Pepper that with homework, discussions, and assignments and I'm going to NEED birthday weekend just to ice this brain.

Have a good week, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm happy to hear that your friend signed up for the registry; I have a handful that did as well. As always, best wishes for you and your family, and keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it on!! It was really great getting to chat with you and Phoebe Saturday night. It's too rare that we get to see so many friends in one place anymore. Happy early Birthday and good luck on your tests!

    ReplyDelete