Thursday, September 5, 2013

Round 6: Officially Unhooked

That post title might lead you to think that I'm saying I personally have become unhooked...and maybe that's true. But what I really meant was that Spencer is unhooked from chemo!! It's over!!! Monday evening, he finished by 6 rounds of chemo and now we're in the recovery period. Waiting for his numbers to drop and come back up so we can get the HELL OUT OF HERE and never look back! I don't want to see these pajamas. I don't want to see these toys. I don't want to watch Wreck It Ralph or The Lorax for a LONG time. I don't want to report everything he eats or drinks. I don't want someone coming in during the night to take his vitals. I don't want to only have short weekend visits with Sully.  But how long until I get to see this place in my rear view mirror??

As of now, Spencer has been here 20 days.

His ANC is acting a little nutty but chemo just ended so that's common. 710, 690, 1162. Usually it drops to nothing, comes back up, and we bolt. But not always. Sometimes he never bottoms out so we just get cut loose. The docs thought he'd establish a pattern in the next day or 2 BUT the line doesn't seem to be working. It will flush but won't draw blood!! Now this isn't as earth-shattering as if he had a line infection. But we need this line for a few more weeks. They give him anti-nausea meds through it, do blood and platelet transfusions, and draw daily labs. They managed to get it working yesterday so hopefully they can kick start it again. At least the situation isn't hurting him.

Though SOMETHING is.

Tuesday night, Spencer cried for over an hour which is unlike him. After he eventually DID fall asleep, he'd wake up every few minutes whimpering and sitting up. Just seems miserable. And he's spitting out every food I've offered, only drinking a little milk. So they suspect he is in some pain, possibly from irritation in his mouth and throat. He's had Tylenol and Morphine here and there. Did a lot of sleeping yesterday, poor guy. I did enjoy the extra snuggles though. It's nice to be needed.

So the countdown to going home is on and it's really anyone's guess as to when this might happen. Up to this point, the longest we've been admitted for a round has been 23 days. We're going to see that come and go. I just want my family to be back at home together and for our life to go back to normal. But honestly, I won't feel real relief until after his bone marrow biopsy comes out clean. I've got a bottle of Southern Tier Pumking in my fridge to celebrate getting the phone call saying this nightmare is over. I'm ready for it.

I had a really great long weekend with my family, friends, and my main Moose, Sully! I've got the happiest baby on the planet and he's going to be 1 soon!! Sniff, sniff. Everything just feels right when I see him. We made the most of every minute of every day. I came home to a spotless house (thanks parents!!) so I just got to relax...even though I never really stopped. Went to dinner and had a cupcake baking party with some of my family, watched Grey's season 9 now on Netflix, hung out downtown, shopped for and cooked real food, and went to Oktoberfest!! That was definitely the highlight of my time home. I was so happy all day. Best Labor Day ever. I have the best friends anyone could ask for. They keep my head screwed on. I felt ready to come back on Tuesday. I made the most of my time.

I'll never take my free time for granted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment