Saturday, January 28, 2012

Appointment #1: It's Officially Official

Well, it's officially official. According to our new doctor, there is for SURE a bun in my oven.

Yesterday was our first appointment with our new OB/GYN. Typically, they don't want to see you until you're 8 weeks along but due to our special circumstance from my first pregnancy, we were squeezed in early. Very early. I'm only 5 weeks along and the little hoodlum is only the size of a poppy seed. Regardless, I gave a urine sample and my medical history, had some STD screenings which are required, and we got down to business.

I have to say that I immediately fell in love with my nurse and the feeling continued when I met my doctor. She is amazing and she took about 25% of the weight off my brain. Todd and I both felt extremely comfortable with her and she listened to us, to any nonsense question we had. There was a lot to discuss since the file from  Project Spencer was quite extensive! Pregnancy, delivery issues, and 10 days in the NICU. They were up to date on it all and here's what came from it:

          1. Yes, I am pregnant. 5 weeks along, due October 1st. I was asked it I thought I wanted another C-Section or did I want to try VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). C-Section (hence forth known as "C"), fo' sho! I was told that some doctors require you give vaginal birth a shot if you meet certain requirements. But since my deliveries will only be 14 months apart (!!!) it would probably be too dangerous for me. The uterus can rupture during a VBAC and often, even if you give good, ol' labor a try, you end up with a C.

So there you have it. I will have a scheduled C at Fairview the last week in September, unless baby decides to come earlier or there's a problem. Otherwise, we will effectively be selecting our baby's birthday. Pretty neat. And I think this will ease my mind a bit. He'll be delivered, examined, and we can go on our happy way. With all the trauma/drama of Spencer's birth, and how he wasn't going to tolerate labor, I really don't want to leave anything to chance. No surprises this time around.

And I'm excited about popping the lil' sucker out at Fairview. I heard their OB/GYN department blows minds. Baby will get to stay with me 24/7 (which is awesome since I chose to have Spencer sleep in the nursery and the next thing I knew...he was gone) and I will also be able to have visitors 24/7. I love it. Amazing new doctor and fantastic new hospital. Fresh start.

But one thing that did sort of make our heads spin is when we mentioned to our doc that my OLD doc said my chances of having another baby with Spencer's syndrome have increased to 1%, she was skeptical. It's a RANDOM thing. It happens RANDOMLY (unless you're a carrier). My age is the same as it was when I delivered Spencer. Nothing has changed. My odds should be EXACTLY the same as they were before. They shouldn't have increased. It's a little comforting. It seems HIGHLY unlikely that it would happen RANDOMLY again. At least, that's what I'm hoping for...

          2. ...and hopefully all of that can be confirmed in February. We have an appointment at the Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine in a week (along with some blood work...didn't miss that). These are "high risk" doctors that work with our OB/GYN. They are going to give us all the information we need about testing that is available to us (Nuchal Translucancy Screening, Chorionic Villus Sampling, Amniocentesis, etc., which I'll describe in more detail after the appointment). We're going to hear all the facts about how the procedures are performed, what the risks are, how effective the tests are, and then we will make decisions about which procedure we'd like to have. These people are experts. I want to hear it all from THEM, and not from the interwebs. I want to be fully informed before I consider anything invasive. I think I'll feel even better than I do now after this appointment.

          3. Todd and I talked about everything at our post-appointment lunch. How did he feel? How do I feel? What will we do if we get bad news? Do we think we want an Amnio? Turns out we're on the same page. We feel a little relieved hearing that our odds are probably the same (although odds sort of went out the window with Spencer considering any screenings I DID have came up negative for any genetic disorders). We both weren't sure if we really wanted/could be parents to 2 special needs children. Just because Spencer's case is soooooo mild that even doctor's can't even tell, that doesn't mean we'd be so lucky the second time around if the diagnosis were the same. It could be much, much more difficult.

So we're basically going to wait until we see the high risk docs and go from there. I believe I might be having an early ultrasound at the appointment which is REALLY exciting. I just need my mind eased as much as it can be. And we're keeping the pregnancy under our hats for now. A few gal pals know because I really trust them and know they'll be the support system I need. And I also know they would never judge us. It would be hard enough to have to make that decision, let alone be made to feel bad about it. No one can really understand what it's like to be in our shoes. But I'm staying optimistic that it won't be something that even has to be considered. Things are going to go off without a hitch this time. It's our year.

...

Appointments are schedule until July and then I'll have to have weekly appointments and non-stress tests. I feel like we're being watched out for. I feel like our medical team has our backs. I wish we didn't have to jump through all these hoops. That there wasn't a reason that this pregnancy has to be high risk or that any extra measures need to be taken. But this is how it is and we're going to do everything we need to do. And in the end, there's going to be a new monster in our family.

Another 1st Halloween. Another 1st Thanksgiving. Another 1st Christmas.

And this guy is going to be a big brother!



I.CAN'T. WAIT. Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment