Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Waiting Game: Post Script

The doctor's office called and recommended I watch a video about the procedure I'm having done on Thursday so they could answer any questions I may have. I'm pretty well-informed about the CVS because I can't keep my face off the internet, but I did learn a few tid-bits by watching (and got more comfortable seeing the face of the doctor who will be performing the test and hearing him talk):

1. The rate of miscarriage for CVS is higher than with Amnio. This I knew. About 1 in 100 - 200 pregnancies end in loss. But his personal rate is far less than the national average. That's comforting.

2. The Limb/Jaw deformities than people read about, including me, have pretty much been debunked. They first appeared in 1989 and the procedure had been done around 5-6 weeks of pregnancy. Too early! Since then much research has been done. The safe window is to have the CVS after 9 weeks. Also, these Limb/Jaw deformities can also spontaneously happen to 1 in 175,000 pregnant women without having a CVS. Again, comforting.

3. He has personally never seen one of these deformities in his patients.

4. The procedure only takes 20 - 30 seconds. It will actually take more time to set up then it will to complete the procedure. Whew!

5. Post-procedure, it is recommended that I stay off my feet and don't lift anything until the morning. So Todd is going to have to be my nurse and Spencer's dad and mom for the rest of the day. Some spotting and cramping is normal but should subside in 24 - 48 hours.

So I feel a little more at ease about our decision. HIGH FIVE!

Only 46 hours to go.

1 comment: