Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Total and Utter Wreck: Spencer's 2nd Bone Marrow Biopsy

Spencer's 2nd bone marrow biopsy was Monday afternoon so I barely slept at all the night before and was up frantically cleaning at the crack of dawn. I needed to occupy my brain. We headed downtown around noon, with our guy in brand new shark pajamas, to get the ball rolling. He finally broke the 20 pound mark which really excited me. All of the pre-biopsy shtuff was identical to last time, though our patient didn't have to wear a gown and was a little more crabby and squirmy. I'd be crabby and squirmy, too, if I didn't get to eat for that long.

Once the procedure got started, there were a few little things that made my skin crawl. I REALLY watched this time so that made it more intense. And once they got going, he was still moving some and making little noises. No one seemed concerned but it sure freaked us out. And when they went in to retrieve the bone chip...which I didn't think they were going to do...they had a hard time getting it. Kept reinserting that corkscrew thing into his puncture wound which made ME hurt, so poor Spence!

He slowly but surely woke up from sedation but was definitely more spacey this time. The nurse said she didn't know why but all the kids that day just wanted to keep on snoozing. So snooze he did the whole way home. He was a little quieter and moved a little slower and at bed time, he did not want to lay down. He just sat up in our bed with his eyes half open. I don't know if it was more comfortable or what but eventually, he got very close to me and put his head on my shoulder and fell asleep. It was an extra awesome snuggle, indeed.

I decided to stay home with him yesterday. Not the best idea financially but I was concerned about him and he (and Sully) trump anything else in my life. And let's be honest, I was also a wreck waiting for the results. Well, after some moody moments throughout the day from Spencer, he was back to his old self, but the results never came. We got a phone call around 7:00p from the doc saying she had no news yet, aside from the blast count being pretty much the same or slightly higher. She apologized up and down but we won't know anything until today.

And she said not to count on it being any earlier that noon...MAYBE.

Another day of not knowing what's what with my son is enough to drive me mad. But at least the procedure is over and he's back to being the guy I know and love, just with a tiny little bandage on his hip. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Then when I'm surprised, it will feel that much more awesome.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. I have no words. I just love you so much it hurts and I hate seeing you go through this crap. And Spencer. He's such a badass.
    Hope for the best. And know in your heart that no matter WHAT the outcome, there is nothing in this world that that little guy can't do.