Thursday, August 22, 2013

Round 6: ...Has Not Started Yet!

A lot has happened since I last babbled at you. The biggest bombshell being that Spencer ended up having another line infection so...goodbye PICC. They pulled it before I even got here on Monday because he was still having fevers. No line means no chemo. The setback I was dreading. The domino affect all started from the fever. Sigh.

The bacteria he had is NOT what he had last time but is another super common bug. We aren't surprised but we are disappointed. A 7-10 day course of antibiotics was ordered and as of now, he is infection free. We've basically just been sitting around the hospital room waiting to get this show on the road. It's exhausting, believe it or not. I miss my home and Sully. But Spencer needs me most so I'm where I'm supposed to be, I guess.

The plan is to put in another line tomorrow. His 5th line since this all started. I hate when he's under anesthesia/sedated. And I'm in a panic that they won't be able to put in a PICC and he'll have to get a Broviac. That's a much bigger deal and he'll have to be intubated. Hate that. But we won't know what's what until tomorrow.

And just because he has a line doesn't necessarily mean chemo will start. We have to wait and see what the big dogs say. And they're still debating about whether or not he can recover at home. He NEEDS this line to last a few weeks post-chemo in case he needs platelets or blood during recovery. So I guess they're worried about him getting another infection. This is the most upsetting. I'm already doing 2 Monday-Saturday shifts. I don't want to be here for weeks on end. It's bad for all of us.

Spencer has had some visitors which is good for both of us. And I have school applications and wedding planning to keep me busy. Because chemo is still delayed, I did have to change my schedule around. As of now, I don't have to drop out for the semester. I really DON'T want to push things back again. I should have started a nursing program THIS semester. My mom suggested pushing it back anyway thinking I've got too much on my plate, and I probably do. But I really wanted this, for myself and my family. I need to keep moving forward.

So that's where we're at. Surgical procedure tomorrow and Round 6 of chemo, the final round, following at some point. Hopefully I can keep my head screwed on, at least until I get to go home for my break on Saturday. Per usual, thanks for the continued support and awesomeness. I'll never be able to  adequately describe how much the support means to us during this extremely draining time.

No comments:

Post a Comment