Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Grand Finale: Round 6, The Last Round

A few days ago, I took Spencer to his weekly clinic visit and shockingly, he was pretty much recovered and ready for treatment. He's been a week delayed these past few rounds so I expected the same. I'm not sure why since he's been doing his own things regarding his chemo from day one. They pushed it until
Monday to make sure his ANC was for sure above 1,000 but the date was set. The final round of chemo would start this Monday. We would be back in the hospital to finish what was started in February. Again, as always, I want to finish but I don't want to go back so my whole body has been in knots. I'm in a bad place.

And his hair is thinning again so my eyes seem to leak from time to time. Need to get that fixed. Nuisance.

The lovely Bride-To-Be, Lisa, arrived on Thursday for 2.5 days of non-stop wedding planning. I was so happy to see her and to shut my brain off for awhile. And we were MACHINES! She saw the venue, got her ensemble, my dress, wedding color samples, checked out specialty linens, a photo booth, tasted the proposed menu and cocktails, and CAKE, settled on a hotel and planned out the pre-wedding primping, and on and on and on... I haven't been so productive in 2.5 days...ever. And even though I lost the battle to not have to give a toast, it was so awesome to eat, drink, talk, and see her happy. That made ME happy.

Until I WASN'T happy. 

Nothing ever really goes as planned these days and Friday night, Spencer had a fever. The docs on call said we had to bring him downtown and if his numbers were good, he'd get meds and go home. If not, he'd be admitted. Todd had to take him since I had company and plans. Since Lisa lives in Arkansas, this MIGHT be it as far as us planning together, face-to-face. So at 11:00 Friday night, my miserable boys were off to the hospital. By the time they got there, the fever was gone and he numbers were good but after his antibiotics, he was admitted anyway. My heart broke. We were robbed of our last weekend.

In the morning, Lisa and I took all of Spencer's hospital supplies to him. I loved waking up and having her in my house. Sigh. My little guy looked great! But I guess as the day went on, he wasn't. I'm suspicious that it's the line again because everything was so similar. He was whimpering in his sleep, throwing up, and the fever was back. I haven't gotten an update since last night when he had fallen asleep so hopefully things have turned around. Chemo was still scheduled to start tomorrow so hopefully it's on track. It NEEDS TO BE. School starts next week and I need to be on campus and unless I transform somehow, I can't be in 2 places at once. But of course, finishing chemo is the most important thing. This nightmare is actually ending.

And my fun visit with Lisa ended, too. After a nice last lunch, I dropped her at the airport. I can't wait to see her again, even if it isn't until the wedding (I'm very excited about my dress and potential hairdo!! Very 50s/60s and cute). After Sully and I showered up, we managed to make a quick visit to Granger Danger to see friends I never see, The Yokels, and A-Train & The Steamers. Sully was happy to party and even though I was there briefly, I was happy to not miss out completely. But was I really happy? Not knowing that I have to go back to prison on Monday. No sir.

Well, my little redhead is awake and calling for me, and we have a big day ahead. Filling out nursing program applications, getting my supplies for a week at the hospital, and making a picture board for Spencer's last round. Is it weird that being at the hospital might actually be the first time I get to do nothing in weeks?? 

Can't believe the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment