Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Date Is Set: A Little Procedure For Spencer, A Lot of Stress For Mommy

As I mentioned yesterday, Spencer went to the Pediatric Urologist for a pre-circumcision check-up. The date has been set. I'll be taking my little fella downtown next Friday, the 27th for the big show. He's supposed to have a re-evaluation with Occupational Therapy that day but they were kind enough to reschedule. So many appointments for such a small guy. He has SIX next month.

He's a trooper, indeed.

People have a lot of opinions on circumcision and that is fine.Life would be boring if everyone thought alike. We had planned to have the procedure done on Day 2 of Life, when most baby boys have it done, but a wrench was thrown in the works. Since we always intended for him to have the procedure, we're following through with it. But my stomach is still in knots that he has to go under General.

But Todd really liked the doctor so that helps ease my brain. He was very comfortable with him and couldn't say enough nice things...so I feel comfortable. He kept stressing that it's JUST skin, and that's true. It's not like he's having a kidney transplant or something. The doc said that yes, he has to go under General but it really isn't that big of a deal. The entire shebang will take 30 minutes and he will be healed up and ready to rock in 2 days.

"All healed up and ready to hit the town. Look out ladies" - Aunt Wendy

Even my friend Natalie, who just finished her OB rotation in nursing school, said that she had previously been 100% anti-circumcision. But after seeing about 1,000 recently, she knows it's truly no big thing. Still, when your child is going to be in pain...even a tiny amount...HORRIFIC. I'll be glad when it's over and done with.

And I'll be even HAPPIER if both the hospital he was born at and the NICU he stayed at would take "CIRCUMCISION" off my bills from August 2011, seeing as he hasn't even had the procedure yet!

Dummies.

3 comments:

  1. Here is another tidbit for the PRO column re: circumcision.

    I just read this morning that circumcised boys are less likely to spread/catch HPV, which is a leading cause of the very cervical cancer yours truly just beat. High risk strains of HPV are present in 99.7% of all cases of cervical cancer.

    SO, once he's snipped, Spence-Baby has less of a chance of catching and/or spreading the evil little disease that likely caused my cancer.

    SO, really, you're just preventing cancer! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My law partner, who is Israeli, has several grandsons who went through the traditional bris. with NO anesthetic save for some plum brandy. While a bris is supposed to be a celebratory event. in the pictures of his grandsons' bris, one image is always the same: the mothers are in tears. Here's hoping that Spencer's "mohel" is not nicknamed "Twitchy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have been talking about this since the day we found out we were having a boy. His family traditionally do not get circumcised and my husband does not want to get the baby circumcised. Since I started working in a urology office, I have learned all of the thing that can happen as you grow old, like the skin shrinking and suffocating the penis (ew). There are many pros and cons, and honestly before I learned all of this I was open to keeping him "whole" as my husband put it. I told him it would be his decision as long as he taught our son all of the things that go along with having that extra skin, ie. cleaning, safe sex etc. Now I'm not so sure I want my son to go through with having to deal with this for the rest of his life, especially since he won't know the difference. But we will see what happens.
    I'm sure this will be a lot more tragic for you than him, but know that these are done every day and they wouldn't go through with it with Spencer if they didn't think it was safe. Good luck momma.

    ReplyDelete