Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Making Progress: Spencer's Therapy Rundown

Yesterday, Spencer went to both Speech and Physical Therapy. It kills me to not go to these appointments with him because I want to know what I can do to help him be the best he can be. Todd fills me in on what goes on but I never really feel like I get all of the information. Not as much as I would if I were there myself. Honestly, I just feel lousy not being at every appointment he has...and that kid has a lot of appointments, I'll tell you what.

Speech was first and according to Todd, his therapist was very happy with what she saw. His Listening & Understanding is in the 6-9 month range, his Demonstrating & Anticipating Play is in the 6-9 month range, and his Expressive Speech is in the 6-7 month range. This is the only category he's slightly lagging in and I STRESS slightly because he JUST turned 8 months. They came to this conclusion based on the fact that Spencer doesn't really imitate sounds like when you play Peek-a-Boo, he just laughs. So we'll work on getting him to mimic sounds. I already know he likes imitation games.

Physical was kind of a bust because he was burnt out and grumpy. However, and I have to admit I'm a little surprised by this, he did pretty well with the sitting up. I guess whatever he was doing was making progress. He's still fairly loose and bends right in half without support but if the therapist was happy, I'm happy. I'm determined to have him sitting (I should stress that this is sitting completely unassisted) by his next appointment. I don't care how hard I have to work. He wants to sit up and I'm going to make sure he does, dammit!

Since he's always such a Grumpy-Puss by the time Physical Therapy gets rolling, his appointments are now going to be much earlier in the day. He'll be fed, rested, and ready to go! I hate that he has to go to therapy but the ST is preventative and with the PT, again, I should be thankful because he only has to go once a month. He could be in FAR worse shape. He's doing great. He's doing awesome.

He does have his next evaluation with Occupational Therapy (everyone makes jokes about how he's too young to have a job, har har) at the end of the month. I'm REALLY hoping that he doesn't need to start going yet. The things he said he'd be looking for, Spencer is doing. He changes toys from each hand, holds a toy in one hand while reaching for another, tries to use thumb and forefinger for grabbing (though that needs work, it's new), etc. So I'm hoping. He really doesn't need another appointment.

But if he does, he does. Again, the goal is to help him be the best he can be. He's met all his milestones on time so far so I have nothing to complain about. I've worked very hard with him and HE has worked very hard for himself. He has no clue about how hard he's worked. For him, like all babies, it's just natural.

"Time to hold my head up? OK. Time to roll over? OK. Time to sit in my high chair? OK".

No comments:

Post a Comment