Friday, June 1, 2012

Appointment #5: A Little Bit Closer To The Big Day...and Time!

Today was the 5th appointment at my OB/GYN. These appointments are pretty much the same every time but I count down the days to them anyway. With each one, we get a little bit closer to meeting Baby Sully! Spencer accompanied me, of course. Hasn't missed one of his little brother's appointments yet!


But before that, let me say that Spencer picked up his own snacks today and put them right in his mouth! It may not mean that much to anyone but seeing as he's had low muscle tone in his hands, it blew my mind. I was so, so, so proud!


So here's what I learned today:

-I finally put weight on! I'm up 7 pounds, which I thought was a good thing since I had such a rough start. HOWEVER, I was informed that I put on too much too fast since my last appointment (which is funny since some people can put on 5 pounds over a weekend). She asked if I've been drinking juice and I told her that's ALL I drink...and this is where the problem is. She said juice is TERRIBLE for you and all her patients that gain weight quickly are big juice drinkers. So it's water (BLAH!) and milk for mama for the next 16.5 weeks. 

-My blood pressure was a nice 110/70. The recent nosebleeds are just from increased blood volume.

-The baby's heart rate was 144 and sounds great according to the doc. An AWESOME to me.

-I have to go to the hospital at 26 weeks (3 weeks from now) and have my Glucose test. You drink some funky orange gunk...like really, uber-sugary, less fluid, orange soda...and then an hour later, they draw your blood. This checks for Gestational Diabetes, which would be the pits. Also considered "the pits"? If you get a weird result the first time, you have to do a 3 hour screening. Who has time to sit around the hospital for three hours?

-They won't start measuring the fundal height (size of your belly) until the next appointment. She could feel that they top of my uterus is RIGHT above my belly button which is exactly where it should be this week. Perfect size.

-The doc said at the next appointment, they'd tell me what time the C-Section would be. So of course I was already counting down the days until June 29th. But when I walked in the door, my nurse called!! Now we know the date AND the time. Monday September 24th at 9:30am. Unless Sullivan has other plans. Things don't always go our way.


So that's all the information from today's visit. I'm going to change my eating habits for the rest of the pregnancy. Not that I was overeating or eating horrifically by ANY means. I just want to give Sully the best possible start he can get so along with sticking to water and milk (just had a tall, frosty glass), I need to work in more lean protein along with more fruits-n-veggies. I know that just a little bit of tweaking with help me physically AND mentally, since I won't be worried that my little monster is just a little sugar bomb.

I'm really going to miss juice though. Sigh...

Until something interesting comes up (a few appointments next week), I'll leave you with these...



Happy weekend, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. My doctor yelled at me about juice being the worst, too. Funny how things we think are good for us are really evil! I miss juice, too...
    I still have TINY glasses of OJ every now and again. I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like a TOAD when she said I gained too much too fast. I haven't had juice in a week now but I think about grape juice constantly. The closest I get to juice is every other day I have a 100% natural smoothie but it's not the same. Hopefully at my June 29th appointment, my weight gain is a little more evened out and I don't get yelled at!

    ReplyDelete